Turkish prosecutors are investigating people who have alleged on social media that a July 15 coup attempt was a hoax carried out by the government. The announcement by the country’s justice minister on Sunday reflects what some critics say are increasing restrictions on expression in the wake of the failed rebellion by some military forces. Meanwhile, the chief of Turkey’s military general staff said on Sunday that soldiers involved in the coupl attempt had done great harm to the country and would face “the most severe punishment”. Hulusi Akar, who was briefly taken hostage by the plotters on the night of the coup, said: “These cowards in uniform, these traitors have inflicted great damage on our nation and especially on our army.”
There will no longer be a presidential guard, there is no purpose, there is no need.
Prime Minister Binali Yildirim
Earlier, president Tayyip Erdogan extended the period in which suspects allegedly involved in the failed military coup can be detained without charge. An official statement said it has been increased from four days to a maximum of 30 days to allow for a full investigation. Mr Erdogan also ordered the closure of 1,043 private schools, 1,229 charities and various institutions suspected of having links to exiled cleric Fethullah Gulen. US-based Mr Gulen has been accused of masterminding last week’s coup, in which 246 people were killed and more than 1,000 were injured.