Scandal-plagued former radio host Jian Ghomeshi has reached an agreement with the CBC to withdraw his $55-million lawsuit against the public broadcaster, a CBC spokesman said on Tuesday. Ghomeshi was fired by the CBC last month amid allegations of “abusive behaviour” from numerous women — claims which he has denied. The 47-year-old former “Q” radio host launched his lawsuit a day after the termination of his employment, alleging defamation and breach of confidence in his statement of claim. The CBC then argued in court filings earlier this month that Ghomeshi’s allegations were frivolous or vexatious, and urged a court to dismiss the suit. Lawyers for both sides have now reached an agreement.
The suit is being withdrawn with costs in favour of CBC. He’s getting nothing.
Chuck Thompson, CBC spokesman
The CBC has said it decided to fire Ghomeshi after seeing “graphic evidence” that he had physically injured a woman. Since his dismissal, nine women have come forward with allegations, some dating back a decade, that Ghomeshi sexually or physically assaulted them, and police are investigating complaints by at least three of them. Ghomeshi — who faces no charges — admitted in a lengthy Facebook post published on Oct. 26, the day he was fired, that he engaged in “rough sex,” but insisted his encounters with women were consensual. Ghomeshi is expected to pay $18,000 in legal costs to the CBC, Thompson said. Ghomeshi had also filed a union grievance against the CBC alleging dismissal without cause, a matter which Thompson said still remains active.