Six teenagers found dead in Germany on Sunday after holding a party in a garden shed may have been killed by carbon monoxide poisoning, police say. A father who owned the brick structure discovered the five young men and one young woman, who included his son and daughter, after wondering why his children had not returned from the party. Police in Arnstein, Bavaria, said the victims were all aged 18 or 19.
It remains unclear what led to the death of the six people, but there were no indications of any violent crime.
There was a wood-burning stove in the shed, prompting detectives to investigate the possibility of carbon monoxide poisoning. Local police spokesman Bjorn Schmitt told the Bild newspaper the group had turned on the stove “so it is a possibility, but there are others”. He said post-mortem examinations should provide more information on the cause of the deaths.